Carmelgiri is heir to a long and living tradition of giving for formation to the priests in India; its beginning goes back to 1680s. The Carmelite Missionaries from Spain, Germany and Italy dedicated themselves for this noble task. The present campus was built in 1955 to supplement the one at Mangalapuzha,¬† which was established in 1932, one and half miles away from here, as more space for accommodation was required. It functioned as Philosophy College until 1996. The two campuses of the Seminary used to house candidates from all the three Catholic Rites in India. In 1997 the Carmelgiri campus was given to the Latin Bishops’ Conference of Kerala to train the candidates for the Latin Church in Kerala. Carmelgiri today is the single Major Seminary under the Kerala Region Latin Bishops’ Conference (KRLCBC) for training the diocesan priests.

EPISCOPAL COMMISSION FOR THE SEMINARY

HIS EXCELLENCY 

RT REV. DR VARGHESE CHAKKALAKAL

Bishop of Calicut (Chairman)

 

Rt. Rev. Dr Selvister Ponnumuthan

HIS EXCELLENCY

RT REV. DR SELVISTER PONNUMUTHAN

Bishop of Punalur

 

Rt. Rev. Dr James Anaparambil

HIS EXCELLENCY

RT REV. DR JAMES RAPHAEL ANAPARAMBIL

Bishop of Alleppey

OFFICIALS

Rector 

VERY REV. DR CHACKO PUTHENPURACKAL

Vice-Rector

VERY REV. DR FRANCIS MAROTTIKAPARAMBIL

Financial Administrator (Procurator)

REV. DR RAJADAS G.

Associate Procurator

REV. DR RAJU SEBASTIAN PLATHOTTAM